Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thailand Missive #1

Hello to Global Campuses in Vermont!

I am very excited to be in Thailand – I have been here for about a week now. I was greeted at the airport by Ka, GCF’s Regional Director in Southeast Asia, Non, Director of GC Chiang Mai, and Phakob, Director Global Campus San Sai. To welcome me, they put a necklace of jasmine flowers around my neck and greeted me with the traditional Sa Wa Dee Ka , or in Non’s case, Sa Wa Dee Krap, because he is male. I know many of you are familiar with that phrase. Jasmine flowers are often used as offerings in Buddhist temples and to pay respect. They smell amazing!

I have been busy getting to know the campuses here. Like in Vermont, the campus meets as a group for classes and meetings. They also go on many field trips and visit Thai historical sites in order to advocate for people with disabilities. Walking around Thailand, one might notice that many buildings do not have ramps for wheel chairs or accessible ways to enter the building. Part of Global Campuses Foundation’s mission in Thailand is to promote accessibility and equal opportunity for people with disabilities.

Global Campus participants in Thailand have learned to become great advocates for themselves. I have met three women in wheel chairs at the campus who all drive motorcycles. They have attached a sidecar to the motorcycle and wired the handlebars so that the bike can be driven from the sidecar. The sidecar has a ramp so the wheel chair can get into the car. The bike can take a passenger as well – the passenger sits on the motorcycle but does not drive. Khun Oo, one of these women, has opened a very successful jewelry business at one of Chiang Mai’s many markets. She makes necklaces and bracelets out of copper and entwines beads with the metal, looping the wire around the beads to make beautiful designs.

I am enjoying visiting many of Chiang Mai’s markets. The markets sell all types of goods, ranging from fresh fruits and vegetables, meats, spices, desserts, clothes, shoes, accessories, household supplies – you name it! It is neat to see all these things sold outside, not in supermarkets like we have in the USA.

I hope you are enjoying the beginning of your Winter Interim studies. In keeping with your theme, I’ve included some pictures of myself in some mysterious places… You all know I’m in Thailand, but can you guess where I am or what I’m doing in these photos?

I wish you all the best and look forward to catching up with you soon!

Amy Miller, GCF Academic Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment